PoINT Jukebox Manager
A Universal Storage Solution Using Optical Media
Data losses as well as insufficient fulfilment of legal regulations constantly endanger the existence of companies and their responsible management. High fines and imprisonment resulting from undiscoverable information currently make headlines mainly in the US, but European governments have already picked this issue with EuroSOX. Consequently, the importance of data archival considerably rose becoming an important topic for the company management as well. PoINT Jukebox Manager offers an economically and ecologically reasonable solution for the safe archival of business critical data.
Highlights PoINT Jukebox Manager
- Long-term archival on optical media (CD/DVD, MO/UDO, BD) including automated media quality check
- Green IT - low energy consumption (kWh / TB) using optical removable media and TÜV-certified hardware
- High data availability by media copying, media mirroring and server clustering
- High performance by integration of hard disks as cache
- Storage virtualisation by logical combination of multiple media to Volume Sets including automatic and on demand extension
- Highly flexible capacity adjustments by connecting multiple jukeboxes
- Simultaneous use of hardware by multiple applications (DMS, E-Mail Archive, HSM etc.)
Green IT and cost savings
Especially with the field of archiving, Green IT, which means energy efficiency, is particularly important because very often huge data volumes have to be stored over a long period of time with as little migrations as possible. By a combination of hard disk as fast cache and optical removable media for long-term archival (e.g. as provided in TÜV-certified jukeboxes), data can be saved consuming pretty much less energy per TB data volume than compared to using a pure hard disk system.
PoINT Jukebox Manager can simultaneously write data to two different media which may be located in multiple jukeboxes by the integrated mirroring option. In the case of one jukebox failing, a seamless transition to the other assures smooth continuation of the archiving process.
As an alternative to mirroring, copies of the finalized media, which can even be stored offline (e.g. in a safe), can be produced. Two PoINT Jukebox Manager servers can run in a clustered configuration, which allows an automated failover if one server is no longer available.
To ensure data availability over decades, PoINT Jukebox Manager checks the data integrity on manual trigger or automatically in definable intervals. The administrator receives a report and is thus in a position to take the necessary safety measures in time.
Thanks to PoINT Jukebox Manager, the integration of optical storage into an existing IT infrastructure is a simple and straightforward process. A drive letter is generated on the jukebox server, representing the complex storage hierarchy. The complete file system or single subdirectories can be shared independently through the network by using the standard Windows sharing and permission mechanisms.
Even specific requirements of dedicated applications can be fulfilled by PoINT Jukebox Manager. The straightforward integration and perfect interaction of this solution are approved by the corresponding manufacturers’ certificates.
Unlimited optical storage
PoINT Jukebox Manager offers an effective way to combine multiple physical media into a single, logical volume. These are called 'Volume Sets' each representing a storage subset in which each medium can also be read individually. Files and directories can be seamlessly spread over these media by using UDF.
Protection of your investment
The standardized file system (UDF) used by PoINT Jukebox Manager can be read by almost all current operating systems (Windows, Linux, UNIX). In addition, the ‘File System Plug-In’ option allows the integration of media generated with software products of other manufacturers in a proprietary file system format. A storage system based on PoINT Jukebox Manager is independent of software and hardware manufacturers and therefore offers a comprehensive protection of your investment.
- DocuWare AG
- GFT inboxx GmbH (scheduled Q2/2010)
- Open Text Corporation
- iXOS Jukeman IFS, IXW
- GDA OWFS
- Plasmon Diamond File System#
- ISO 9660
- CD-ROM, CD-R
- DVD-ROM, DVD+R/-R (DL)
- MO, MO/WORM
- Blu-ray Disc (BD)
- ASACA, ASM, BDT, DISC, DSM, GRUNDIG, HP, JVC, Kubota, NETZON, NSM, Pioneer, Plasmon, PowerFile, Sony
Server operating systems
- Windows Server 2008 (even as 64 Bit)
- Windows Vista (Ultimate/Business/Enterprise)
- Windows Server 2003 (even as 64 Bit)
- Windows XP Prof.
- Windows 2000
- Windows 7 (even as 64 Bit)
More detailed information about system requirements and supported hardware is provided on the PoINT web site www.point.de, where you can also find evaluation versions and descriptions of further PoINT applications and PoINT software development kits.
- PoINT-Jukebox-Manager File-System-for-Optical en.pdfPoINT Jukebox Manager